Icom America Careers
Field Support Technician
||Field Support Technician
||January 1, 2014
The Field Support Technician is a member of the Technical Service Representative Department (TSR). The FST works with the Technical Support Group in applications where expanded support, up to and including on-site visits, are required for technologies including IDAS Digital radio, P25/Trunking, and other Icom products. This person must be able to travel to customer sites with minimal notice, be proactive in troubleshooting issues on all Icom products or systems that include Icom products, research and/or document and/or train regarding Icom products and applications, and fully support all Icom products and applications both in person and remotely.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- This person must be experienced and have a demonstrated working knowledge in networking, IP addressing, Sub netting, networking equipment, and theory.
- Performing RF support functions within the Icom organization and out in the field, teaching, diagnosing, and repairing RF System applications.
- Provide expert troubleshooting using logic, Service Monitors, Spectrum Analyzers, and other tools common to the radio industry.
- Document trips, research, expenses and other required documents in a timely manner as requested by the manager.
- Prepare presentation materials on Icom products and Icom-related applications and conduct professional training both local classroom settings, phone presentations and on customer’s sites.
- Receive and address elevated technical issues concerning IDAS, P25, and other Icom products; trouble shoot and diagnose complex requests by sales associates and customers, as requested by the TSR manager.
- Assist Sales Team and IA Systems with bid guidance, technical advice, and product recommendations as requested.
- Assemble and configure system packages, perform electronic and mechanical tests in accordance with ICOM quality standards, and provide technical support to IA Systems department.
- Professionally communicate regularly, both verbally and via documentation, with appropriate managers and associates about product reliability, design, specification, and production issues. Suggest improvements, modifications, and design changes necessary to improve the overall performance of our products. Research and track alternative vendor products as necessary to adhere to market trends and sales opportunities.
- Provide assistance with TSR representatives by providing phone support, preparing training documents/presentations, and testing of any products as requested.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- EXPERIENCE – 5 years of demonstrated success as an RF Site-System Technician, Networking Technician, System Support Specialist, System Integrator, or System Sales Assistant. Contacts already established within the industry. Product training experience desired.
- Networking hardware theory and programming experience.
- VOIP/ROIP experience.
- TECHNOLOGY. RF wireless technology including commercial radios/repeaters, Mobile voice and data communications, computer controlled RF products, Trunking technologies, and other communications devices and protocols.
- SERVICE EXPERTISE – Proper use of signal generators, spectrum analyzers, frequency counters, and associated equipment. Ability to read and interpret electronic circuit diagrams, flow charts and schematics. Diagnostic and repair skills (including excellent soldering and assembly techniques) are necessary, as is knowledge of the function and performance of the various components used in LM Systems (i.e.; multi couplers, combiners, duplexers, controllers, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to travel 1-2 weeks per month, sometimes with minimal advanced notice. May include some weekend travel.
- Exceptional attention to detail and tenacious follow through are necessary.
- Requires initiative, assertiveness and ability to make decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team environment and with people with whom English is a second language.
- Must be able and willing to travel by all modes of transportation.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and repeatedly handle heavy containers carrying test equipment.
- FCC GROL-
Two year technical college in electronics, military communications school or equivalent required.